I spent my entire week absolutely eating up the entire River of Time series by Lisa T Bergren. If you have a hankering for time travel, historic fiction set in medieval Italy, lots of action and amazing characters, this is the series for you. By Saturday, after I’d read the last pages of books 3.2-3.2 Bourne and Tributary, I didn’t want to pick up any other books. The whole package, taken in one big swoop was just plain magic.
What I loved:
- Hearing about mid evil times, the use of herbs for healing
- The Magical setting…Tuscany sunrises, rolling hills, fountains and plazas.
- The feeling that if I looked out my window right now, I might actually be there in Italy. Lisa has a way of transporting you back in time and letting the reader become fully immersed.
- The character development that Gabi went through. I was mildly annoyed by her modernized “teen voice” in book one, but she grew on me.
- Greco! Oh my heavens. Can we talk about a complex, multi layered, twisted man. Wow.
- The photos of Italy Lisa includes in the ebook version of Bourne and Tributary. It’s amazing to see the actual locations written into the books.
- Hearing Gabi’s point of view and Luca’s voice in the novellas.
- The sassy, strong and independent nature of the She Wolves, sisters who aren’t afraid to fight.
- Gabi’s discovery of faith and the power of prayer amidst normal teen angst and modern questions.
- News that there is a book four on the way! DELUGE.
These fan made trailers…
- Non-stop action. There is a lot more war related violence and torture in these last books. Content wise definitely more for older teens (17 and above) and adults.
- The pull between temptation and love. There are mature sensual scenes and themes as you get the full arc of a relationship from meeting to marriage and motherhood.
- A big shift in characters from Books 1-3 and the novellas. If you want the chemistry and relationships between Gabis, Marcello and Greco to stay the same as they were at the end of Torment, best not to read Bourne and Tributary. Everything shifts…A Lot.
About the author: Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 40 books, with more than 2.5 million copies sold. Her most recent works includes a YA series called River of Time (Waterfall, Cascade, Torrent, Bourne & Tributary), God Gave Us Easter, a devotional called Upside-Down Prayers for Parents and the Grand Tour Series (Glamorous Illusions, Grave Consequences, and Glittering Promises). She’s currently at work on a new YA series called Remnants, coming out in 2014.
Lisa’s time is split between managing home base, writing, and working on ducks with her husband, Tim (RMrustic.com). Tim’s a worship leader, graphic designer and duck-sculptor. They have three kids–Olivia (18), Emma (15) and Jack (10).
The Bergrens make their home in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Learn more on her website/ facebook/ twitter