characters: Laurel Sewell, David Lawson, Tamani
Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger–and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.
When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?
- tinkering of the fairies and learning about herbs at the academy
- The festival and kiss with Tamani
- Kae and her men in black. Some serious Troll butt kicking!
- The World Tree and meeting Tamani’s family
- Seeing the feelings revealed between David and Chelsea…go get her David! Leave Laurel to Tamani.
- The high speed, big action ending. Gotta say I loved the end of the book, Aprilynne amped it up quite a few notches
- Her mother’s store and apothecary business
What I would Change:
- Spells was a little too slow moving for me
- Too much poinitng out of the class structure in fairy land. It doesn’t seem to bother anyone but Laurel
- The mention of gong to bed with David in her joking with Chelsea, it seemed totally out of place. Why do so many YA authors feel they have to slip in sex somewhere?
- I’d love to see more action and less of Laurel’s teen aged complaining and rants on social status.
Overall though, I am a huge fairy fan and will read the whole series I am sure! I am hoping the love triangle resolves itself in a suitable way *coughs* and kudos to Aprilynne Pike for another interesting book. With that cliff hanger end I will HAVE to wait to see what happens…
Browse inside SPELLS at HarperCollins http://www.harpercollins.com/books/Spells-Aprilynne-Pike/?isbn=9780061668067
Get to know Aprilynne Pike at her website here: http://www.aprilynnepike.com/Spells/
See our Wings inspired shop on Etsy here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeatherZahnGardner?section_id=6655519