Go enter here: http://princesscourtneysbarr.blogspot.com/2010/05/spread-awesome-author-spotlight-bree.html for the interview and the goods!
Posts Categorized: giveaway
Did you graduate from college, if so from where and in what major?
BYU, B.A. and M.A. in German Literature 1990
Princeton, PhD in Germanic Languages and Literatures 1995
What are your hobbies?
triathlon, knitting, crocheting, piano, quilting
What are your favorite all-time books?
Lois McMaster Bujold
Megan Whalen Turner
Margeret Peterson Haddix
When did you start writing your book and how long did it take to get it published?
I wrote a lot as a child and teen, but stopped for about ten years. I started up again in 1993 and had my first offer in 2000. I wrote twenty novels before I got to the one that sold. They are almost all unredeemable.
Who is your hero/ mentor?
What suggestion would you give young writers?
Listen to people around who tell you what you do uniquely well. Do that.
What do you plan to do when you retire?
Retire? Why would I retire when writing is the thing I love to do most?
Do you have another day job?
I have 5 kids.
Favorite music? Does music or art inspire your writing?
I don’t listen to music while writing. It distracts me. But I love Chopin and the piano music from Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, the movies.
What are the names of your published works?
THE MONSTER IN ME
THE PRINCESS AND THE HOUND
THE PRINCESS AND THE BEAR
THE PRINCESS AND THE SNOWBIRD
TWO PRINCESSES (forthcoming)
Are you working on any books right now?
Several, a contemporary YA fantasy/romance based on the original Tristan and Isolde tale, a postapocalyptic novel, and a vampire novel. Plus more Hound Saga books.
What do you aspire to do before you die?
Megan Whalen Turner
What is your all-time favorite children’s book?
The Queen of Attolia
Do you prefer independent booksellers and why?
Because they buy more than the best sellers with big concepts.
Do you have a writer’s group?
I used to, but moved away, so right now my two teen daughters are my first readers of almost everything.
Book description from author’s website…Her parents were legends. When she was born, they gave their magic to her. And they will not take it back. Now, it is up to her if magic lives or dies. But she has lived all her life with animals. Why should it matter to her what humans do to their own magic?
Read an excerpt of all Mette’s books online at http://www.metteivieharrison.com/mybooks.html
To enter to win a prize pack: leave your name in our comments
+5 for following our blog or adding our button to yours
+2 for each contest retweet @FireIcePhotos
+2 for visiting her site and commenting below http://www.metteivieharrison.com/
Giveaway ends May 29, 2010 and is open internationally
Handmade Make Up Pouches– @FizzMonster @gracewong1 @throuthehaze @invictoria http://fireandicereads.com/2010/03/girl-eats-cupcake-pouches.html
Ami Romi Animals-Carrie & Phrannie http://fireandicereads.com/2010/03/amiromi-amigurumi-giveaway.html
Sterling Hedgehog Necklace-beautyvibes
If you are a crafter, artist or author and would like to contribute swag for our giveaways we would love to highlight you! As of today we have sent out 38 boxes of aid to Chile and have 7 ready to ship now if we receive shipping donations! Thanks so much for all you do. Please be generous because every little dollar counts 🙂
Congrats to Entre_Libros for winning our two Nancy Drew Hardback Books http://fireandicereads.com/2010/04/moms-monday-nancy-drew-books.html
and slowclublover who won her choice of handbags from Etsy shop Foggy Notions!
Enter today to win The Upcycled Earrings, Shiver Inspired and Three Little Birds necklaces on the right hand sidebar. Tomorrow we draw those 🙂
Winner…Email us your street address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you your gifts!
Congrats to @kghobbs who won our Grey Felt Purse giveaway http://fireandicereads.com/2010/03/grey-felt-purse-giveaway.html From Misha’s Handmade on Etsy and
La GattaSiamese, lizzyRM, Jayne/ Candid Whisperer, Candid Reader and Artsy Image who all won Templar book thongs from Bad Candy Studios http://fireandicereads.com/2010/03/templar-book-thongs-giveaway.html
Please email me your street address to email@example.com and check our previous week’s posts for giveaways which were unclaimed and still up for grabs! First come first serve to anyone who donates to the Chile relief fund. As of today we have send out 22 boxes 🙂
The Sharp Edge of a Knife Giveaway! Message from author Nichole Giles: To celebrate the release of The Sharp Edge of a Knife, I’ve put together an exciting giveaway, with several opportunities to win. Since the book deals a lot with making choices, the prizes all have something to do with choice.
Among prizes I’ve been collecting, Lisa at Watches by Lisa has agreed to sponsor the giveaway by donating a custom made beaded watch and face. Head on over to her blog and take a look at the incredible selection.
Yes, I realize that a beaded watch is not exactly a prize to be coveted by a bunch of masculine men (though it makes a great gift for the woman or girl in your life), which is why I’m also giving away more great stuff. Check out the following really cool prizes:
1. Choice between: An autographed copy of the New York Times number one bestselling novel, Wings by Aprilynne Pike—or—a non-autographed copy of The Darwin Awards, Intelligent Design by Wendy Northcutt—or—a numbered, autographed copy of Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright. Click here to learn more about Wings, here to read about The Darwin Awards, and here to find out about Recovering Charles.
2. Choice between: A $25 gift certificate to the Restaurant Morelia in Murray, UT (Sorry out-of-state peeps, this is local to Utah.) or $25 worth of vinyl lettering by Whaddayawannasay Vinyl Lettering—you choose your quote or phrase.
Bonus prize for author types
3. You may substitute any of the above selections with the following incredible opportunity: The chance to sit in on a critique session with my wonderful, amazing, incredible critique group. While there, you will be treated to not one, but six critiques on the first chapter of your work in progress. This is no ordinary group. We have in our midst some fabulous authors including Tristi Pinkston, acquisitions editor for Valor publishing and author of the Secret Sisters series, Danyelle Ferguson, freelance editor and author of (dis)Abilities and the Gospel—who will edit via internet, since she actually lives in Kansas—Heather Justesen, author of The Ball’s In Her Court and the upcoming release, Rebound, Kimberly Job, author of I’ll Know You By Heart, and Keith Fisher, up and coming author of women’s fiction and plotting genius, and Nichole Giles, also known as D.N. Giles.
**If enough people enter this contest, I reserve the right to choose extra winners and give away some, or all, of the prizes left after the top three winners have made their choices.
Entries will be accepted between March 15th and April 3rd. On April 5th Nichole will announce the contest winners on her blog.
1. You must be a follower of my blog.
2. You must leave a comment telling me which prize you want to win and why.
3. For those wishing to win the watch, you must go to Watches by Lisa and become a follower, then come back and tell me which watch combination is your favorite.
1. Blog about this contest, then come back and leave either a url address or a link in a comment.
2. Twitter this contest, tell me where to see your tweet in a comment.
3. Follow me on Twitter @FireIcePhotos
4. Follow Nichole on Twitter.
5. Facebook the contest. If your Facebook page is private, and I’m not your friend, I can’t see that you’ve done this, so you’ll need to friend me.
6. Become a fan of The Sharp Edge of a Knife on Facebook.
“After” by Kristin Harmel, already reviewed
“The Eternal Ones” by Kirsten Miller- ARC to review
“This World we Live In ” by Susan Beth Pfeffer-ARC to review
“No Apology” by Mitt Romney- autographed copy
To giveaway Today
on twitter “Diary of a Wimpy Kid #2”-follow and Rt @fireicephotos to win a one of the two Wimpy Kids hardbacks
Today’s giveaway is brought to you by The Nerd Nook…
A little shop dedicated to all things geek. Thanks for visiting!
MADE IN CANADA
We are a team of nerdtastic lovebirds using our creative energies to conquer the universe!
Totty the Toadstool tantalisingly tempts tushies to take time-outs. What gnome would be complete without a mushroom to sit on?
Our original design, Totty is handcarved from vinyl carving block & measures approx 1 1/2″ tall & 1″ wide.
Can be used with any type of inkpad. Perfect for tags, stationery, envelopes, bookmarks, etc.
To enter to win a handmade stamp: leave your name and email address below
+3 Visit their Blog: http://tenshades.blogspot.com/
+3 follow @FireIcePhotos on Twitter:
+3 Visit their stream and comment below with your favorite photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/24978561@N07/
+3 entries for each additional dollar donated to Chile earthquake relief via Paypal using the yellow “donate” button on right sidebar-100% of the funds go straight to Chile
+1 for each tweet: post the link
Also check out their clothing shop, Ten Shades of Awesome Apparel: http://www.printfection.com/tenshades
This week’s Freebie Friday is sponsored by our wonderful friend and affiliate, Heather with Fire & Ice.
Today we have two wonderful MI necklaces that we’re giving away (books NOT included).
To Enter, make sure you’re a blog follower and leave us a comment with your email address. For extra entries-
+3 for being a forum member
+2 if you follow Fire & Ice on blogger
+2 for checking out Heather’s Etsy shop and leaving a comment with your favorite item from her shop
This contest will run until next Friday, March 12 at midnight CST. At that time, 2 winners will be selected and their names will be posted on our blog the following day.
To find more amazing jewelry of Heather’s, please visit her shop here:
We are hanging out in the fort today with author and YA book reviewer, Myra McEntire- queen of sweet and retweet!! Her debut novel, Hourglass, a YA time slip romance, will be published by Egmont USA in 2011. Come on over and roast marshmallows with us, as well enter to win one of my handmade Steampunk Clockwork Journals!
Find us here : http://writingfinally.blogspot.com/2010/02/friday-in-fort-with-heather-zahn.html and be sure to follow her on Twitter @MyraMcEntire